Litigation – Banking and Financial Services
We are one of the few genuinely conflict free firms who are willing and able to litigate against the banks and financial institutions that full-service City and US firms count as key corporate and/or finance clients.
We advise and act for clients in relation to complex, high value disputes involving banks and financial institutions, including those under the ISDA Master Agreement, whether as claimant or defendant. Our clients include hedge funds, corporates and high net worth individuals.
We have particular expertise advising in relation to allegations of mis-selling, misconduct, misrepresentation, deceit, fraud, breach of duty, contractual interpretation and breach of transactional documentation, as well as various contentious restructurings.
We are also experienced in advising in relation to the operation of the FCA redress scheme set up in response to the scandal surrounding the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products in recent years. We are particularly adept at challenging the banks’ conduct of the redress scheme as well as the role of the Big Four global accountancy firms in their capacity as Independent Reviewers of decisions made under the scheme.
- Acting for a group of well-known high street names in relation to competition claims against MasterCard and Visa in relation to historic multi-lateral interchange fees imposed by the card companies.
- Advising a well-known proprietary trading house operating in the global financial markets in respect of its dispute with a financial services firm arising out of various prime brokerage services provided to it.
- Acting for an independent equities and derivatives trader based in Dubai in defence of substantial US proceedings commenced by the Securities Exchange Commission concerning allegations of insider trading relating to the purchase and sale of Fortress Investment Group LLC securities.
- Advising a pan-European investment group as litigation counsel in relation to various planned strategic acquisitions and associated corporate restructurings.
- Advising the Joint Administrators of a leading provider of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures in the UK as litigation counsel in relation to its highly sensitive strategic corporate restructuring following its acquisition as a distressed business.
- Advising private equity houses, hedge fund clients and various privately owned commercial real estate groups in relation to a range of issues arising out of various derivative products including interest rate swaps (plain vanilla swaps, multi-callable swaps and Libor and base rate swaps) and interest rate floors, caps and collars.