Alexander is a solicitor advocate and partner in our commercial dispute resolution department. He has over 10 years’ experience in all forms of general commercial litigation and dispute resolution gained at leading City and US firms with a primary focus on complex corporate/commercial and banking and finance litigation.
Alexander specialises in complex, high value commercial litigation and arbitration and advises regularly on domestic and multi-jurisdictional shareholder, joint venture and company/corporate disputes. His clients include private equity investors, hedge funds, corporate finance boutiques, family offices, HNWIs as well as listed and privately owned companies.
Alexander has particular expertise in complex, high value disputes involving financial institutions and hedge funds, including those under the ISDA Master Agreement, having acted both for and against such institutions, whether as claimant or defendant. He has advised on cases involving allegations of mis-selling, misconduct, misrepresentation, deceit, fraud, breach of duty, contractual interpretation and breach of transactional documentation, as well as various contentious restructurings.
In addition to representing clients in the Competition Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal in relation to private “follow-on” damages actions arising out of European Commission and national competition authority infringement decisions, Alexander has experience of a range of UK regulatory investigations undertaken by the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Conduct Authority, as well as US regulatory investigations undertaken by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Alexander has extensive experience of mediation as well as a range of other dispute resolution mechanisms.
“Alexander Weinberg is ‘outstanding on the law and client relationships but retains an excellent strategic overview’” Legal 500, 2018
“Alexander Weinberg is noted for complex, high-value disputes involving financial institutions and hedge funds, including those under the ISDA Master Agreement; the ‘very hardworking and responsive’ Weinberg is ‘particularly good, has a clear incisive mind and knows his subject’” Legal 500, 2018
“Alexander Weinberg is head and shoulders above some lawyers” Legal 500, 2017
“Alexander Weinberg brings to the table an acute tactical and strategic sense” Legal 500, 2017
“The ‘impressive’ Alexander Weinberg is recommended” Legal 500, 2016
“Commercially focussed” Legal 500, 2014
“I found Alexander Weinberg and his colleagues within the Wallace litigation and restructuring team to be extremely efficient and effective during our assignment. Despite working within a limited timescale they were able to digest the requirements, meet all required deadlines whilst maintaining high standards throughout.” Andrew Bailey, Partner, Turpin Barker Armstrong
“Alexander Weinberg is first class. His business acumen and advice is excellent. He is very professional and quick in response. I would not hesitate to recommend him thoroughly.” Alfred Magnus, Director, Hurstglen Properties Ltd
“Alex’s legal advice is clear, concise and pragmatic. He is extremely approachable and helpful, and always quick and responsive. A pleasure to work with.” General Counsel of NASDAQ listed international sourcing company
Highlights of his work include:
Corporate / commercial
- Acting for a Panamanian company owned by a prominent Italian high net worth individual in its substantial multimillion pound High Court claims against four prominent personal defendants domiciled in the UK and eight corporate defendant companies incorporated in three foreign jurisdictions for breach of fiduciary duty and knowing receipt of funds and other contractual benefits wrongfully procured pursuant to a fraudulent investment scheme.
- Representing a Swiss based high net worth individual and his UK domiciled co-defendant in their defence of substantial multimillion pound High Court proceedings brought against them by a disgruntled investor concerning allegations of fraudulent misrepresentation, dishonest assistance, conspiracy and breach of trust.
- Acting for two foreign domiciled individuals in their defence of substantial multimillion pound Commercial Court proceedings brought against them by certain companies within a well-known international mining and metals group concerning allegations of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties during the period of their respective employment.
- Acting for a BVI company owned by a leading Russian entrepreneur in relation to various ongoing claims in the High Court and Companies Court arising out of the fraudulent mis-selling of a substantial investment in a real estate transaction.
- Acting for Russian businessman and entrepreneur Oleg Deripaskain his defence of High Court proceedings brought by Michael Cherney, one of the largest and most complex commercial disputes to come before the English courts in recent years.
- Acting for one of the largest global investment companies, and the largest publicly-traded diversified holding company in Russia and the CIS, in a commercial arbitration under the LCIA rules concerning a joint venture dispute with one of the world’s leading leisure travel groups.
- Acting for a leading private equity owned provider of tailored welfare to work services in respect of a multimillion pound claim brought against it by a European provider of digital transformation services.
- Advising a leading global provider of mobile ad serving technology solutions for the acquisition and conversion of mobile customers in connection with its multimillion USD dispute with a UK based global mobile-first agency and its principal, Uber Technologies Inc, arising out of the provision of services to Uber in various jurisdictions including Asia Pacific, EMEA, India and Latin America.
- Acting for a Hong Kong incorporated manufacturer and distributor of high-performance, sustainable materials across Asia in its multimillion pound professional negligence claim against a well-known international law firm.
- Representing a substantial group of corporate, pension fund and offshore high net worth individual investors in respect of their multimillion pound High Court claim against Marlbray Limited concerning the intended purchase of hundreds of units in an off-plan apart-hotel development at a prestigious central London location.
- Acting for a Middle Eastern HNWI in three separate ICSID arbitration proceedings against the Arab Republic of Egypt concerning political interference and frustration of bulk liquids terminal projects.
- Advising a well-known, privately owned international hedge fund sponsor in relation to a high value dispute concerning the provision of financial advisory and consulting services.
- Acting for two US hedge fund shareholders in an application to the High Court requiring it to address the inter-relationship between the Court’s role in approving schemes of arrangement and the role of the Takeover Panel.
- Acting for a leading global private investment firm in a dispute arising out of a failed joint venture based in the Cayman Islands.
- Advising a founder shareholder in a substantial dispute arising out of the management of a Bermudan entity.
- Advising a NASDAQ listed international sourcing company in relation to various disputes concerning a joint venture in Asia.
- Acting for the majority shareholder of a professional services company in a dispute regarding a director’s alleged breach of fiduciary duties.
- Advising a Spanish family investment vehicle in respect of a substantial multi-jurisdictional dispute arising out of its investment in a renewable energy project in Poland.
- Advising a leading global supplier of automotive seating systems and electrical power management systems in a supply chain dispute.
- Acting for a Dutch distributor in a significant dispute relating to the purported termination of an exclusive distribution agreement in the Benelux region.
- Advising a Swiss based global corporation in connection with its exclusive sales and marketing rights arising out of a project agreement for the export of potash from the Republic of Congo.
- Acting for a global investment bank in its defence of a multimillion pound claim brought by a Hong Kong based hedge fund in relation to a dispute arising out of an option transaction governed by the 2002 ISDA Master Agreement.
- Acting for a premier global wealth management and financial services firm in connection with claims arising out of a credit default swap transaction.
- Advising a global fund management group in respect of potential claims arising out of the operation of its investment risk model.
- Advising a US investment vehicle in relation to its alleged breach of the leverage covenant of a multimillion dollar senior and second lien term and revolving facilities agreement.
- Acting for a private investment company in a multimillion pound dispute with a lender concerning its fixed term and overdraft facilities.
- Acting for an independent equities and derivatives trader based in Dubai who has been named as a defendant in substantial US proceedings commenced by the Securities Exchange Commission concerning allegations of insider trading relating to the purchase and sale of Fortress Investment Group LLC securities which are traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Advising an independent equities and derivatives trader based in Dubai in relation to a dispute with the oldest and largest independent futures brokerage and clearing firm in the United States concerning the operation of his CFD trading account.
- Advising a well-known proprietary trading house operating in the global financial markets in respect of its dispute with a financial services firm arising out of various prime brokerage services provided to it.
- Acting for the applicant in judicial review proceedings against KPMG LLP concerning its decision, in its capacity as Independent Reviewer for the FCA, not to award redress to the applicant in respect of the mis-selling of IRHPs by The Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Acting for a private investment company in its substantial claim against The Royal Bank of Scotland concerning the mis-selling of IRHPs and the fraudulent manipulation of Libor.
- Advising various privately owned commercial real estate groups in separate multi-million pound disputes with numerous well-known banks and financial institutions concerning the alleged mis-selling of interest rate swaps.
- Advising several private equity houses and hedge fund clients in relation to a range of issues arising out of various derivative products including interest rate swaps (plain vanilla swaps, multi-callable swaps and Libor and base rate swaps) and interest rate floors, caps and collars.
- Advising Aurelius, a pan-European investment group, as litigation counsel in relation to various planned strategic acquisitions and associated corporate restructurings.
- Advising the Joint Administrators of various companies in The Hospital Group as litigation counsel in relation to the highly sensitive strategic corporate restructuring of The Hospital Group following its acquisition as a distressed business by Aurelius.
- Acting for a leading independent energy company as litigation counsel in connection with its successful restructuring.
- Acting as litigation counsel for a tranche of lenders in connection with the proposed restructuring of a leading global supplier of print and online advertising.
- Acting as litigation counsel for a group of junior noteholders in connection with the proposed restructuring of an Irish issuer of CMBS debt.
- Acting for a group of well-known high street names in relation to competition claims against MasterCard and Visa in relation to historic multi-lateral interchange fees imposed by the card companies.
- Devenish v Sanofi-Aventis and others  EWCA Civ 1086 – Successfully representing BASF in the leading case in the Court of Appeal concerning remedies (including exemplary damages) in antitrust follow-on actions.
- BCL Old Co and others v BASF SE and others  EWCA Civ 434 – Successfully representing BASF in the Court of Appeal on a preliminary issue relating to a follow-on damages action concerning the vitamins cartel.
- Grampian and others v Sanofi-Aventis and others  CAT 29 – Successfully representing BASF in further follow-on damages actions before the Competition Appeal Tribunal concerning the vitamins cartel.
- BCL Old Co and others v BASF SE and others  EWCA Civ 1258 – Successfully representing BASF in the Court of Appeal in relation to a follow-on damages action concerning the vitamins cartel.