Liina specialises in commercial and banking and financial services litigation, advising high net worth individuals and companies. She has experience of advising in relation to a broad range of disputes, including contractual disputes, professional negligence claims, online fraud cases and commercial property disputes. She has particular experience of complicated, high value banking disputes against major UK clearing banks.
Liina’s clients benefit from her strong commercial awareness that she acquired while running her own business in the USA. She focuses on helping clients steer their disputes towards the most commercially beneficial result in a cost-effective manner. She enjoys taking on challenging cases and helping clients achieve the desired result.
She has extensive experience in mediating and resolving disputes through settlement negotiations and is also dual qualified in England and Scotland.
Liina was awarded “Up & Coming Lawyer of the Year” at the Law Awards of Scotland 2015 and “Trainee Solicitor of the Year” at the Law Awards of Scotland 2012.
Highlights of her work include:
- Unanimous victory before the UK Supreme Court in the case of Carlyle v Royal Bank of Scotland Plc  UKSC 13 concerning breach of a legally binding promise made by RBS to provide development funding to Mr Carlyle.
- Assisting two high net worth individuals fully recover loans they had made to failing companies by enforcing personal guarantees granted by company directors
- Securing a significant settlement in a mediation in England for an international corporation in an online fraud dispute with a large clearing bank
- Assisting commercial bank customers successfully set aside personal guarantees previously granted to their banks
- Securing over £7 million in compensation for SME business owners in the FCA Review into the Mis-selling of Interest Rate Hedging Products
- Obtaining an award of over £2.7 million for a high net worth individual client in a professional indemnity claim against the client’s former solicitors
- Negotiating favourable settlements for a large English institutional lender in multiple professional indemnity claims against solicitors and surveyors
- Advising a landlord in a high value commercial property dispute involving the terms of a potentially invalid lease