Rex specialises in corporate finance work, representing both privately owned and publicly traded clients. He has worked on numerous mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, fund-raisings, private equity investments, management buy ins and buy outs, corporate reorganisations and refinancings, guiding clients on legal, structural and financial issues.
Rex prides himself on establishing long-term relationships as a trusted adviser. His strategic counsel is often sought by individuals and businesses involved in complex or sensitive negotiations and disputes. He is the independent chair of a family-owned investment business and trustee to a number of family and philanthropic organisations.
The firm’s long term managing partner, Rex began his career with a major City of London legal practice before working in New York for a Wall Street law firm.
Highlights of his work include:
- Acting for ENIC International on its purchase of a controlling shareholding in Tottenham Hotspur from Lord Sugar.
- Advising Anthony Mascolo, international creative director of Toni & Guy USA on the $412 million sale of the global TIGI professional hair products business to Unilever.
- Advising international investor, Joe Lewis in a boardroom dispute involving Mitchells & Butler whose outcome was described by The Times as “the greatest shareholder coup in living memory”.
- Representing the sellers in the sale of an enterprise data management services provider to the sector’s market leader, IHS Markit.
- Acting on the sale of a Formula 1 racing team to its Japanese sponsors
- Establishing the restitutionary claims of a UK charity to properties in Berlin seized by the Nazis, through parallel court proceedings in the UK and Germany.
- Co-ordinating international litigation on behalf of a UK automotive manufacturer against Alfa Romeo in an ICC arbitration and against a motor racing team in the US Federal Courts.
- Representing a borrower group in complex negotiations with the administrators of Kaupthing Bank.
Rex is also a member of the New York bar and an accredited mediator.
“It was an extraordinary effort. I was most impressed with both his substantive expertise and his ability to read the interpersonal dynamics.”
Partner in leading Washington law firm
“Quite apart from the excellent quality of the advice, you were the voice of experience and reason.”
Terry Leahy, managing director, Queen’s Export Award Winner
“Responsive, engaged, sophisticated, commercial, articulate and intelligent”